"Recycling on a Roll"
Figure 1. City of Little Rock 64-gallon residential recycling cart
In 2012 the City of Little Rock, North Little Rock, and Sherwood entered into a 7-year recycling contract with Waste Management for residential recycling only. Our recycling program is single stream meaning that you don't have to separate any of your accepted recyclable items from each other. All acceptable recycling materials should be placed in your 64-gallon green and yellow recycling cart. To learn how to properly recycle visit our "Acceptable Materials" page.
Please note, this information is for City of Little Rock residents ONLY. If you live in Pulaski County but outside of Little Rock city limits this information does not apply to you. Learn about Pulaski County recycling by visiting the Pulaski County website.
- Your recycling is picked up every other week, the same day as your garbage collection.
- Step 1: To learn which day your trash and recycling are picked up click here to type in your address on our GIS Recycling Map. This map will also tell you if you are a gold week or green week for recycling pick up.
- Step 2: To see the green week/gold week recycling collection calendar click here.
Where is my recycling pick-up?
- Recycling pick-up will be in the same location your garbage is picked up. For example, if your trash is picked up in the alley, recycling will be picked up in the alley.
- Please allow for a minimum of three (3) feet between the trash cart and recycling cart. (Ord. No. 20,562, § 2, 3-27-12)
- Recycling containers should not be placed out for collection prior to 4:00 p.m. the day preceding the normal collection day. Recycling containers should be removed by midnight the day of completion of recycling collection. (Ord. No. 20,562, § 5, 3-27-12)
Should I bag my recycling?
- Recyclables should go in the cart loose (not bagged). Single stream recycling means you don’t have to separate any of your recyclable items from each other. Paper, plastic, aluminum, and glass should all be placed loose in the cart.
- As a reminder, WE DO NOT ACCEPT PLASTIC BAGS (i.e. grocery bags or trash bags) in the recycling program. Please return your plastic grocery bags to Kroger, Target, Walmart, or any participating plastic bag take back store.
- Shredded paper is the only item that will is allowed to be bagged, and it is to be placed in a clear bag that is tied.
Missed Recycling Pick-up
If your recycling was missed on your pick-up day that could be due to a few reasons.
1) Your recycling cart could have been blocked, to far from the road, or to close to another cart or object.
2) Your recycling cart could have materials in it that are not accepted in our recycling program and thus contaminate our recycling. If so the Waste Management truck driver should have put a tag on your cart identifying that the cart is contaminated.
3) Your recycling cart or your entire street could have simply been missed by the Waste Management recycling truck drivers.
If your recycling cart has not been picked up by 5 p.m. on your pick-up day and you've made sure there are no contaminants in the cart, please call 311 to report a missed recycling pick-up. Leave your recycling cart at the curb until it is picked up.
You can access 311 by calling anytime between 7:30 and 5:00, by filing a 311 request online using the 311 website, or by filing a 311 request on your phone's 311 app.
Excess Cardboard or Other Recyclables
1) Cardboard that will not fit into your recycling cart may be set out with yard waste for collection. All yard waste in Little Rock is turned into mulch and compost, so if you put your boxes out with yard waste, please make sure there is no tape left on the boxes. Cardboard boxes will be collected with yard waste provided they are either empty, contain more cardboard, or contain yard waste. Please note that the boxes and contents must weigh sixty (60) pounds or less to be picked up. Boxes containing anything other than these materials, such as Styrofoam, packing peanuts, trash, etc. will not be collected.
2) Excess cardboard can also be taken to one of the two recycling drop off locations in Central Arkansas.
3) You may also request a second recycling cart for an additional $2.07 fee per month. If you would like to request a second recycling cart please call us at 501-371-4586.
If you have any questions give us a call at 501-371-4586 or email us at email@example.com.