Mayor’s Youth Council
MYC Mission Statement: The mission of the Little Rock Mayor’s Youth Council (MYC) is to promote youth civic engagement by providing the chance to (1) advocate for issues affecting their communities, (2) learn about policy matters that impact the lives of young people, (3) develop a passion for local governance, and (4) invest in their communities through volunteer work.
Program Summary: The MYC is comprised of high school students, grades 9th – 12th, from public, private, and charter schools in the City of Little Rock. They are a diverse group of students, reflective of our city’s demographics. The MYC meets monthly during the school year to discuss volunteer opportunities and to hear from speakers concerning issues affecting our city. The council elects new officers every school year who work with Mayor Scott’s Senior Advisor, Kendra Pruitt, to develop the initiatives for that school year.
(The Mayor’s Youth Council Leadership Class is offered in the spring of each school year. It includes 4 sessions for accepted applicants, where they explore various subjects like government and politics, crime and public safety, social issues, and economic development. Upon completion of the sessions, the participants have an opportunity to visit one of our sister cities to act as youth ambassadors. This is a week-long international trip that includes homestays for students. It is a great opportunity for students to learn from like cities and create international relationships.) The Youth Leadership Class was suspended in 2020 due to COVID-19.
- Membership Expectations: Members are expected to do the following:
- Attend monthly meetings,
- Actively engage with the information presented in these meetings,
- Respect the opinions and contributions of fellow council members, and
- Challenge themselves to grow through meaningful participation in the program!
- Program Incentives: By joining the Little Rock Mayor’s Youth Council, you will be afforded numerous opportunities to (1) develop leadership skills, (2) participate in volunteer opportunities, (3) create valuable connections with government officials and passionate students (like yourself!), (4) raise awareness for issues important to you, and (5) engage with your local government in a unique and rewarding manner. Being a member of MYC means becoming a better informed, better prepared, and better devoted citizen!
- Message from Mayor Scott: “As a millennial mayor, I am excited to work alongside our City’s future leaders in our Mayor’s Youth Council to unite Little Rock and ensure it meets its full potential. I look forward to the amazing work they will do for us regarding civic engagement and voter registration, social justice, and other issues that require their unique perspective. I appreciate each student that is engaged and involved with our city government, and I fully expect this generation of leaders to be influential in creating a better Little Rock and a better world.”