War Memorial Park occupies 117 acres of tree covered, gently rolling land bisected by Coleman Creek in the heart of the city. The Arkansas State Fair Commission purchased the site in the 1868 from William B. Wait to be developed as the State Fairgrounds. The site served in that capacity until 1924 when the land was acquired by the City of Little Rock for the creation of a municipal park. The landscape architectural firm of Pearse and Robinsom from Chicago was commissioned to develop a master plan for the "Fair Park", as it was then called. Much of the park's present appearance reflects the ideas proposed in the original plan; including the street layout and the locations of the zoo, midway and stadium. During the 1930's, the original zoo buildings, clubhouse, bath house and the swimming pool were constructed by WPA workers. The stadium, designed by architect Bruce R. Anderson, was build in 1948. President Harry Truman presided at the ceremonies in 1949 when the park was renamed "War Memorial Park." The carillon at the Jonesboro Street Entrance was erected as a Bicentennial Project in 1976. In 2019, the golf course closed and the golf cart paths are now utilized as walking trails.