City of Little Rock Disaster Recovery Frequently Asked Questions

In the wake of the tornado that left severe damage and destruction across the city, the City of Little Rock has provided answers to important questions that will help facilitate and expedite the recovery process for those adversely affected.

How can I volunteer to help those affected?

Tax-exempt donations may be made to the Little Rock Cares fund. To date, almost 500 donors have contributed to the fund, and the City of Little Rock is in the process of determining how to distribute donations. All Little Rock Cares donations will go toward recovery efforts. Visit to donate.

While specific volunteer opportunities related to the tornado have ended, the City continues to seek volunteers to assist with beautification and park improvement projects. If you are interested in volunteering, sign-up to volunteer at

Where can I drop off essential supplies and non-perishable food items?

Individuals are also encouraged to consider donations of food items to the Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance or the Arkansas Foodbank.

All clothing donations should be directed to Goodwill.

Is there somewhere affected residents can go to get important information and resources related to disaster recovery?

Yes! FEMA and other relief agencies opened a Disaster Recovery Center at the City of Little Rock's West Central Community Center, 8616 Colonel Glenn Road. There, residents impacted by the tornado can seek assistance or help with disaster relief applications daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Where can I find information about road closures in the city?

All roads are currently open, except for temporary closures for utility work or debris removal. Visit to see an updated list of temporary closures.

My home/apartment was destroyed, and I have nowhere to stay, what options and support do I have?

There is a temporary emergency shelter at Calvary Baptist Church, located at 5700 Cantrell Road, operated by the American Red Cross. The shelter provides food and supplies for displaced residents.

After the storm, the City of Little Rock provided more than 250 five-day hotel vouchers to residents. Those vouchers have been exhausted. The Red Cross is now working with residents to facilitate temporary housing options for the near future. Contact the Red Cross at (800) RED-CROSS for more information.

How do I organize tornado debris around my house for pick-up?

To expedite the debris removal process, organize your debris into the following types of piles within ten feet of your curb (away from trees, poles, or other structures):

  • Vegetative debris (tree branches and logs under six feet, leaves, plants)
  • Construction debris (building materials, drywall, lumber, carpet, furniture, plumbing)
  • Large appliances (refrigerator, washer/dryer, air conditioner, stove, water heater, dishwasher)
  • Hazardous waste (oil, batteries, pesticide, paint, cleaning supplies)
  • Electronics (television, computer, stereo, phone, DVD player)

The City has contracted with a debris removal company to dispose of most of the debris from the tornado. That work will continue through the coming weeks.

How can I submit a report to the City of Little Rock on the damage sustained at my property?

With nearly 3,000 structures impacted, the City is collecting information from residents about the extent of storm damage. Visit to complete an assessment. This report is for data gathering purposes only and will not result in any action or assistance from the City.

The City of Little Rock has produced an interactive map showing an aerial view of the tornado-damaged area both before and after March 31. View the map at

Will trash pickup be affected?

Regular garbage collection will occur as normal. Yard waste collections and bulky item collections have resumed normal operations, as well.

I am having issues with my utilities and need to speak with someone about it, who do I contact?

Please use the information below to communicate with the following utility companies:


  • For emergencies, call 1-800-368-3749
  • To report an outage, call 1-800-968-8243

Central Arkansas Water

  • To report a water emergency, call (501) 377-1239

Little Rock Water Reclamation Authority

  • For customer service, call (501) 688-1409
  • For emergencies, call (501) 223-1509

Summit Utilities

  • For customer service, call 1-800-992-7552

My small business was affected by the recent tornado, where do I go for assistance and guidance?

If your business needs help, the U.S. Small Business Administration is available at 1-800-659-2955 or visit Click here for more information.

Who do I contact for displaced pets and animals?

Contact Little Rock Animal Village at or call (501) 376-3067.

Do I need a permit to do repairs or renovations?

Yes, but the City is currently waiving fees for building, electrical, plumbing and HVAC permits within the tornado damage zone.

Where can I find the latest disaster recovery updates from the City of Little Rock?

Follow the City’s updates on Facebook and Twitter for the latest and most up-to-date information.

You can also follow Mayor Scott’s Facebook and Twitter for the latest and most up-to-date information.

Click here to subscribe to Mayor Scott’s weekly “Monday Memo” newsletter for important updates and information as well.