Board Policy Statements
Little Rock’s vision is to be a leading City of the 21st century by providing a safe and supportive environment that empowers its citizens, neighborhoods and businesses to develop and prosper.
"Must Do" Policy Statements
Policy Statement for a Safe City
It is the policy of the City of Little Rock to protect the rights of the people, ensure public order, and provide public safety through efficient delivery of services in addition to requiring the highest level of professional standards.
This shall be accomplished by:
- Providing protection through the enforcement of municipal laws
- Providing protection from loss or damage of property
- Safeguarding individual liberties and implementing community partnerships to foster cooperation and shared resources from other public and private agencies
- Maintaining and improving community livability through partnerships with diverse communities by proactively addressing public safety concerns, which enhance the quality of life for all
- Supporting programs that address the issues of children, youth, and families
- Striving to ensure the availability and access of adequate, safe, and affordable housing
- Striving to improve vehicular and pedestrian safety
- Providing disaster assistance in natural and man-made emergencies
- Providing optimum service levels to the public as cost effectively as possible to maintain a safe, healthy community
Policy Statement for Economic Development
It is the policy of the City of Little Rock to create an environment that attracts new business, retains and encourages growth for existing business, and supports growth sectors within our economy.
This will be accomplished by:
- Continuing to support and promote the local regional economy.
- Leveraging key resources and assets to attract and keep business interests that offer high-wage/high-skill opportunities for residents.
- Continuing to build on the momentum from public and private investment and recognizing that these efforts provide economic growth for all of central Arkansas.
- Recognizing the important role small and minority-owned businesses have in the creation of jobs and economic growth and continuing to offer assistance and programs that support these initiatives.
- Creating an environment that is attractive to young people.
- Providing a strong work force for new and existing business.
Policy Statement for Basic City Services
It is the policy of the City of Little Rock to ensure citizens receive quality basic services, and to provide a viable system that enables its employees to give the most efficient and effective support possible.
The services provided to the citizenry will include:
- A comprehensive operational and administrative support system
- The collection of solid waste and recyclables
- An efficient drainage and wastewater system
- The provision of a clean, healthy water supply
- A coordinated and efficient public transit system
- A comprehensive effort to ensure air quality
Policy Statement for Infrastructure
It is the policy of the City of Little Rock to maintain and improve a comprehensive infrastructure system that meets the changing needs of the community while protecting the integrity of the environment.
A comprehensive infrastructure system includes:
- Drainage systems
- Information technology systems
- Public buildings
- Solid waste facilities
- Traffic signals
- Wastewater facilities
- Water systems
"Should Do" Policy Statement
Policy Statement for Quality of Life
It is the policy of the City of Little Rock to ensure the availability of varied recreational, creative, and educational experiences that enhance the quality of life for our residents and visitors.
This will be accomplished by:
- Adopting policies that encourage the availability and the continuous improvement of cultural and artistic offerings.
- Adopting policies that capitalize on Little Rock’s rich natural resources by encouraging the preservation of open space, and developing public and private land for active and passive leisure activities.
- Embracing and celebrating the diversity of Little Rock’s citizenry through the promotion of festivals and other events that highlight the varied cultural background of the City.
- Adopting policies that support the various entertainment venues and tourist attractions that exist within the City.