Firefighter Eligibility Requirements
Click here to download a copy of the Firefighter Eligibility Requirements
In accordance with Arkansas Civil Service laws, Little Rock Civil Service Commission Rules and Regulations and City of Little Rock Policies and Procedures, applicants for entry-level Firefighter positions must meet the following criteria (list is not all inclusive).
- Be at least 20 and 1/2 years of age but less than 35 years of age* by the date of the written examination. No person shall be hired as a Firefighter who has not arrived at the age of 21. Any applicant who arrives at the age of 35* during the selection process shall be immediately disqualified and will not be eligible to receive an offer of employment. *Exception for Maximum Age: Any person who has at least two (2) years of previous experience as a paid firefighter with another fire department and whose years of experience as a paid firefighter when subtracted from the person’s age leaves a remainder of not more than thirty-two (32) years shall be eligible.
- Have graduated from a standard high school or have a high school equivalency certificate, i.e., General Education Diploma (G.E.D.).
- Have no felony convictions.
- Have acceptable vision (uncorrected visual acuity must not exceed 20/50 in either eye, correctable to 20/20 in the stronger eye and 20/30 in the weaker eye).
- Be a United States citizen by date of hire.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Be of good moral character.
- Obtain or hold a valid Arkansas Class D Driver’s License by date of hire.
- Successfully complete all required Selection Procedures.
If you feel you match the requirements above and are interested in applying to be a Little Rock Firefighter, click here to let us know!