Why Does the City have Boards and Commissions?
Boards and Commissions are an important part of City Government. Serving on a Board or Commission enables residents to impact City policies and activities. Volunteering on a Board or Commission is one of the most effective methods of participating in municipal government and making Little Rock a better place to live, work and play.
What are the Roles of Boards and Commissions?
Boards and Commissions are advisory bodies to the Little Rock City Board of Directors and City Staff. They play an integral role in shaping the critical decisions impacting the overall community.
Who Can Apply?
Qualified applicants must be:
- A resident of the City of Little Rock.
- At least eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- A United States citizen and available to attend meetings as scheduled.
Qualifications for certain Boards and Commissions vary for positions designated to profession, organization or Ward representation.
Why Volunteer on a Board or Commission?
Public service is an essential part of every successful City. In addition to empowering the community, volunteering provides benefits for the individual. Volunteers have the opportunity to develop new skills, gain valuable experience, meet new people, stay active and make a positive contribution to their community.
How Do I Get Appointed to a City Board or Commission?
- Request a questionnaire and informational packet from the City Clerk’s Office by calling (501) 244-5494 or by visiting Little Rock City Hall at 500 West Markham Street, Room 200. In addition, the forms can be downloaded at www.littlerock.gov/citycommissions.
- Complete the questionnaire and informational packet. Include a letter to the mayor and Little Rock City Board of Directors expressing your desire to be considered.
Materials should include a verifiable home address. In addition, when applying for a Board or Commission that has more than one (1) vacancy, designate the position for which you want to be considered.
Questions regarding the forms can be directed to the City Clerk’s Office.
- Return the completed questionnaire, information packet and letter to:
City of Little Rock
City Clerk’s Office
500 West Markham Street, Room 200
Little Rock, AR 72201