Positive Prevention Programs
The Department of Community Programs administers numerous programs through contracts with community-based, faith-based and other organizations. These programs operate Monday-Friday 3-6 p.m., for youth ages 6-11; 4-7pm for youth ages 12-17. During out-of-school time, school breaks, summer etc., programs operate a minimum six hours a day. Program designs for neighborhood-based programs may differ from site to site; however all programs must follow the five essential elements of youth development, namely:
- Opportunities for caring, consistent relationships with responsible adults in their families and in the broader community.
- Opportunities for positive social and recreational activities with peers and family.
- Opportunities to make positive contributions to their family, their neighborhood, and the community and to feel valued for their contributions.
- Opportunities to learn and test new skills through participation in a wide range of social, cultural, educational, service, and employability activities.
- Opportunities to assist in the design and implementation of programs and services in which they participate.