Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.) 


How can I prepare for my court appearance?

  • Be on time for your hearing. If you arrive late, you could have a warrant as well as a charge of Failure to Appear.
  • Dress in a way that shows respect for the court. Keep in mind this is a professional setting. Inappropriate attire includes, but is not limited to…muscle shirts, tank tops, halter tops, shirts with spaghetti straps, shirts that show your midriff, shorts, cut-off jeans, pants that fall below the hip, short skirts, pants with holes. No obscene slogans on clothing. Wearing inappropriate attire could result in your court case being rescheduled to a different day.
  • Do not wear a hat of any sort, you will be required to remove it before entering the courtroom.
  • Children are not allowed in the courtroom. Plan ahead to have a friend or family member watch your children while you are in court. The court does not provide childcare.
  • Turn your cellphone on silent before entering the courtroom. Should your phone make noise during a court session, you may be asked to turn it in to the Bailiff during the time you are in court.
  • Do not come to court intoxicated. Should the Judge determine that you have come to court intoxicated, your court date will be re-scheduled and you may be committed to the Pulaski County Jail for a period of time.

What do I bring to court?

  • Proper identification: Driver’s license, government issued ID, passport
  • Your copy of the citation
  • Any receipts or documents regarding your case, such as proof of correction, registrations, proof of insurance, jail release papers, bond receipt, cash bail receipts, etc.
  • Any documents which prove compliance with the judge’s orders and/or sentencing
  • Method of payment

What do I need to do during my court appearance?

  • Do not chew gum, eat or drink in the courtroom.
  • Stand when the judge enters or exits the courtroom. The court officer will tell you when to sit and stand.
  • Speak up and speak clearly when the judge talks to you. Speak directly into the microphone. Do not nod or shake your head when asked questions.
  • Be direct and to the point when answering questions.
  • If you have an attorney, speak with him before making statements to the Judge or Prosecuting Attorney.
  • Always be respectful of the Judge.
  • Only speak when the judge advises you to. Never get into an argument or interrupt the Judge or the opposing side while they are speaking.
  • DO NOT LEAVE the courtroom without authorization. When your hearing is completed you will be advised if you are required to wait for paperwork or if you are free to leave
  • Do not carry on conversations while other hearings are taking place.

Can I have the Public Defender appointed to represent me?

  • You will be required to complete an Affidavit of Indigence at your court appearance. After reviewing the Affidavit, the Judge will determine whether or not you qualify for the Public Defend to represent you.

Are there any items I cannot bring to court?

  • Weapons, firearms and knives of any kind are strictly prohibited and will be confiscated.
  • Food, drinks and chewing gum are prohibited
  • All bags and large jackets will be x-ray scanned, and if necessary, hand searched
  • No vapes or lighters of any sort

What happens if I miss my court date?

  • You could be charged with Failure to Appear & a warrant for your arrest may be issued.
  • Contact the court clerk’s office immediately to determine what your next steps should be.

What if I miss a payment on my payment plan?

  • You could be charged with Failure to Pay & a warrant for your arrest may be issued.
  • Contact the court clerk’s office immediately to determine what your next steps should be.

What if I miss my report date for community service?

  • You could be charged with Failure to Comply & a warrant for your arrest may be issued.
  • Contact the court clerk’s office immediately to determine what your next steps should be.

How can I obtain a copy of the disposition on my case?

  • Cases are updated as quickly as possible after court. They are typically completed by the end of the next business day.
  • Case information can be located at 
  • For physical copies, visit the clerks office in person to obtain copies of your case disposition. There is a fee.
  • For un-redacted copies you will be required to provide a photo id.

How do I obtain a copy of the court recording?

  • Bring a new un-opened CD-R to the clerks window. (opened packages will not be accepted)
  • There is a $15 fee.
  • The CD-R will be left with the clerk, along with your contact information so you can be reached when the recording is ready for pickup.
  • Turnaround time is typically 3 days.

If I have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) can I keep a citation off my driving record?

  • If you hold a CDL both federal and state law prohibit all judges from using any program to “mask” state and/or local traffic violations from the public record.

What if I need an interpreter?

  • Spanish Interpreter cases are set for Tuesdays.
  • Contact the court immediately to have your case set for a day when an interpreter will be present.
  • If you require an interpreter other than Spanish, it is very important to contact the court as soon as possible so that an appropriate interpreter can be scheduled for your case.

What if I need a continuance?

  • The court will grant a continuance only for good cause shown. On a case-by-case basis, the Judge will evaluate whether sufficient cause justifies a continuance.
  • Except in unusual circumstances, any motion for continuance must be in writing and contain the reason for the request.
  • The motion is required to be filed no later than 10 days before the scheduled trial date.
  • If your motion for continuance is not filed 10+ days prior to your trial date, you will be required to appear in person on the day of court to request the continuance in person, or request a pre-trial hearing on the motion.