FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE :
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
City of Little Rock Public Relations
Office (501) 371-4421
Media ReleasesContact(s): Jennifer Godwin | (o) 501 371 4421 | (c) 501 804 4822
Love Your School’s Walkers of the Month To be Recognized
WHAT: Three students in the Little Rock School District will be honored as Walkers of the Month for their accomplishments in the Love Your School walking program.
WHO: Little Rock Mayor Mark Stodola, Little Rock Chief Service Officer and Love Your School Director Michael Drake, Little Rock School District students, teachers, and friends
WHERE: Williams Traditional Magnet School
7301 Evergreen Drive
Little Rock, AR 72207
WHEN: 9:30 a.m. Thursday, May 26
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – Three students will step into the spotlight at Williams Traditional Magnet School on Thursday, May 26, as they earn the distinction as Walkers of the Month in the Love Your School walking program, a component of the Love Your School childhood Obesity Prevention Initiative. Little Rock Mayor Mark Stodola will present Anthony Brown, Noah Gower, and Landen Hill with certificates of achievement at a ceremony.
The three will also receive a new pair of walking/athletic shoes so that they can keep on moving in the daily walking program, which gives students an in-school opportunity to lead a healthy and vigorous lifestyle.
The event is sponsored by the Love Your School childhood obesity prevention program and Williams Traditional Magnet Elementary School.
The Love Your School Program partners with Little Rock School District K-5 Elementary Schools to offer students:
- Important nutrition instruction in the classroom, led by volunteers trained by our Love Your School staff;
- Garden experiences including planting, harvesting and consuming produce coming from school gardens;
- An incentivized Walking Program designed to “Get Kids Moving”;
- Opportunities for parents to participate in free cooking classes held in the school cafeteria-kitchen entitled “Cooking Matters” sponsored by the City of Little Rock and the Arkansas Hunger Relief Alliance; and,
- Student-led Farmers Markets held each spring.